Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2017 Caulfield Cup, G1 Handicap!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2017 Caulfield Cup, G1 Handicap!!!!

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Message
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 21974
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

The forum was like a morgue after the CC. Even the second horse a bolter, form out the window.


I was numbed Max.      Even with it being a small winning Race for me.

One of those times where you are despondent at the wasted hours in form study.
   I studied in depth form of about 12 runners and didn't get one into 1st or 2nd ..     
Back to Top
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.


Back to Top
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 20450
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 9:48pm
Hayes reaction, "miracles happen".
Back to Top
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 04 Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 9757
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 9:52pm
I agree max!

If you were worse than sixth, and more than three of the fence in the straight, you might as well have stayed home. It was the worst biased track on a group 1 day, I have seen this year. It goes to show how good Marmelo's run was!

The first couple of races I could point to and say they were tempo related, but for Single Gaze to have to drag the field up to the leader, and for her to keep going like she did, that tells me that the track favoured runners where she was in the run. I mean even Humidor who usually races back (although I will admit over shorter distances) was in the first four and finished fifth.

I will never have another bet on Caulfield Cup day while they keep the rail positions the way they do for Guineas day, the Wednesday and then today.

I know about four professional punters who are never going to bet on this day ever again, and who will just take some doubles and some all in futures for the Caulfield Cup, because of todays stupidity.

Professionals are not like the partygoers. Professional punters want a level paying field before the race. Yes you can look at earlier races and select if there is a bias, but then you have to know how the race is going to be run, and I know of no speed map expert, who had the race being run the way it was.

So good luck Melbourne race Club, you have started the rot of your feature race, as far as betting turnover is concerned.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Back to Top
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 3753
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

I agree max!

If you were worse than sixth, and more than three of the fence in the straight, you might as well have stayed home. It was the worst biased track on a group 1 day, I have seen this year. It goes to show how good Marmelo's run was!

The first couple of races I could point to and say they were tempo related, but for Single Gaze to have to drag the field up to the leader, and for her to keep going like she did, that tells me that the track favoured runners where she was in the run. I mean even Humidor who usually races back (although I will admit over shorter distances) was in the first four and finished fifth.

I will never have another bet on Caulfield Cup day while they keep the rail positions the way they do for Guineas day, the Wednesday and then today.

I know about four professional punters who are never going to bet on this day ever again, and who will just take some doubles and some all in futures for the Caulfield Cup, because of todays stupidity.

Professionals are not like the partygoers. Professional punters want a level paying field before the race. Yes you can look at earlier races and select if there is a bias, but then you have to know how the race is going to be run, and I know of no speed map expert, who had the race being run the way it was.

So good luck Melbourne race Club, you have started the rot of your feature race, as far as betting turnover is concerned.



Bingo. Well said.
It's always good when a WA horse does well in the Eastern States or abroad.
Back to Top
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 20450
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 10:11pm
Hard not to credit there being a bias toward the rail there, like last weekend, when the 100/1 job got up on the inside. Starting to get a touch of the "Flemingtons" about it.
Back to Top
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 6143
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 11:10pm
Beaten horses just weren't good enough
Back to Top
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 9693
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 12:22am
What a boring race....bunch of plodders the lot of them. Actually the whole program was a snore fest. Give me the days racing in Sydney last week anyday !
I've only backed one certainty in my life....& it lost !
Back to Top
room for a slew View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 04 Sep 2011
Location: kirrawee
Status: Offline
Points: 1674
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote room for a slew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 1:22am
Disgraceful all around.

At least team Williams should have the courtesy to notify punters and officials they are slaughtering one of theirs as pacemaker

so connections and jocks and punters can change bets/ tactics etc accordingly.

I bet Amelies stars connections would have went back to her usual racing pattern had the pacemaker been public knowledge.

A farkin rort the melb spring has become.

Jason kerr and mick goodie and team Williams and Craig Williams and any other dodgy farktard can all go get screwed.

would rather put my hard earned on the darts instead
Back to Top
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 21974
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 2:43am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

What a boring race....bunch of plodders the lot of them. Actually the whole program was a snore fest. Give me the days racing in Sydney last week anyday !


Certainly an anti-climax between the very popular Sydney Programmed Everest and the bolters Main events in the 2 weekends at Caulfield.
    So obvious TBV members are in disbelief.

All the racing Clubs need to do some thinking about these "stuffed" surfaces they are racing on .
    
Back to Top
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 6143
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 7:34am
Originally posted by room for a slew room for a slew wrote:

Disgraceful all around.

At least team Williams should have the courtesy to notify punters and officials they are slaughtering one of theirs as pacemaker

so connections and jocks and punters can change bets/ tactics etc accordingly.

I bet Amelies stars connections would have went back to her usual racing pattern had the pacemaker been public knowledge.

A farkin rort the melb spring has become.

Jason kerr and mick goodie and team Williams and Craig Williams and any other dodgy farktard can all go get screwed.

would rather put my hard earned on the darts instead



Jockey Katelyn Mallyon will be instructed to cross over the field and set the pace on Sir Isaac Newton after the six year old drew the extreme outside barrier in the Group 1 $3.15m BMW Caulfield Cup (2400m) at Caulfield on Saturday.

Jockey Katelyn Mallyon, above on sprinter Super Cash, will ride Sir Isaac Newton in the Caulfield Cup. Photo by Ultimate Racing Photos.
Jockey Katelyn Mallyon, above on sprinter Super Cash, will ride Sir Isaac Newton in the Caulfield Cup. Photo by Ultimate Racing Photos.
Racing Victoria Stewards released the following advice on twitter after connections notified them of their intentions to lead on the imported stayer who drew the outside gate in the seventeen horse field.

“Change of Tactics: 21-10-2017 Caulfield R8 – No.6 Sir Isaac Newton – lead, better rolling than being restrained,” Racing Victoria Stewards tweeted.

The Lloyd Williams owned, Robert Hickmott trained Sir Isaac Newton has failed to win at five runs in Australia since arriving from Europe twelve months ago and is rated as one of the outsiders of the Caulfield Cup field at $61 at Ladbrokes.com.au.


http://www.horseracing.com.au/sir-isaac-newton-to-set-the-pace-in-2017-caulfield-cup/
Back to Top
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 21974
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 10:27am
TWITTER . is that the Vic Stewards Racing news out let ?    Never heard of it.       > Only ,   The Rich and famous only have such luxury.
   WE Brokes only have RISA , plus   R&S & Gay3 to rely on.
Back to Top
Spearmint View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 1334
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spearmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 10:28am
This "pacemaker" question is quite interesting.
In Europe pacemakers are allowed and here they are not.

So we go through the charade of yesterday. Williams say the other horse they are running will go to the lead and race unrestrained thus setting the pace, to give it the best chance of winning This is just code for a pacemaker but because the stewards have been informed of this tactic it is ok.
Just let stables here declare a horse is a pacemaker and cut the bulldust

The other thing regarding Sir Isaac Newton was the excuse from Mallyon that she could not hold the horse from charging forward like it did. This may or may not be true.

Anyway the tactic did not really work and JV looked a good thing beaten

Having said that I also love to see a stayer who can open a huge break and pinch a race by such daring tactics.

"Nothing in the world is so powerful as an idea whose time has come"
Back to Top
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 6143
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 11:14am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

TWITTER . is that the Vic Stewards Racing news out let ?    Never heard of it.       > Only ,   The Rich and famous only have such luxury.
   WE Brokes only have RISA , plus   R&S & Gay3 to rely on.


Its on horseracing.com.au as it was on numerous other media sites
Back to Top
HoraceThe Wiz View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling
Avatar

Joined: 17 Aug 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 155
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoraceThe Wiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 11:27am
Thought Lord Fandango ran out of his skin to just miss 3rd, beaten less than 2 lengths from the winner, when 3 wide the trip.  
Vintedge was good to me!
Back to Top
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 11814
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 11:42am
The concept of the racing carnival, multiple days at the same track in a short period of time, is stupid, but it doesn't seem to be a problem at some tracks- Ascot?- or maybe I don't know enough.
Back to Top
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Location: cairns
Status: Offline
Points: 4678
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 11:44am
Jon Snow which I didnt back ,was working into the race By the looks and appeared to cop a decent check in the straight , will be interesting to hear what the jockeys said after the race . Maybe a throw at the stumps in the big one .
Back to Top
Breeding Above All View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 507
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeding Above All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 12:03pm
Jon Snow was flattened in the straight, but so was a fair few of them.. plenty of luck went the winners way including the inside rail and track bias.

Usually my favourite day, but track was quite poor, so made it frustrating
Back to Top
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 11814
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 12:06pm
I'm tempted to say rubbish Caulfield Cup and Melbourne Cup winner not in it but looking at the market, could be rubbish Melbourne Cup- not exactly loaded with stars.
Back to Top
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 21974
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 12:08pm
Plenty of hard luck stories. We have to forget they raced.
Wasn't a good advert for the Melbourne Cup.
Confusion is the name of the Game.    Lord Fandango put merit into his previous win with Boom Time coming out of that race too.
Harlem had genuine hard luck stories.   Bonneval pulled up lame again.
I'm more puzzled than ever, even tho I traded and layed the fav. backed 4
and finished with the nose in front.
Back to Top
Breeding Above All View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 507
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeding Above All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 12:22pm
I backed Harlem, Jon Snow, fandango EW, Marmelo a place and Boom Time a place only when I saw how the track played..

I think we can all just come to terms that it was my bad luck that contributed to this emirs race..'I apologise to all
Back to Top
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 10 Aug 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 6528
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 12:36pm
Still think it was a good, even field and it would have been a classic race without the tearaway leader and track bias wrecking it. Disappointing and yeah not a good ad for racing for the once a year punters or the form students who couldn't have predicted what happened in a million years.
The best result for publicity would have been if Single Gaze had hung on. That at least would be a memorable winner.

Any way - does anyone have any news/ opinions about Ventura Storm's disappointing run?
"She's going through a growth phase." - GW
Back to Top
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 20450
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 12:48pm
And the trifecta couldn't even get into five figures. I saw another tri yesterday somewhere that was beyond possible to get, real odds about a million to one, yet "they" got it.
Back to Top
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 09 Apr 2017
Location: Melbourne
Status: Offline
Points: 592
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Spearmint Spearmint wrote:

This "pacemaker" question is quite interesting.
In Europe pacemakers are allowed and here they are not.

So we go through the charade of yesterday. Williams say the other horse they are running will go to the lead and race unrestrained thus setting the pace, to give it the best chance of winning This is just code for a pacemaker but because the stewards have been informed of this tactic it is ok.
Just let stables here declare a horse is a pacemaker and cut the bulldust

The other thing regarding Sir Isaac Newton was the excuse from Mallyon that she could not hold the horse from charging forward like it did. This may or may not be true.

Anyway the tactic did not really work and JV looked a good thing beaten

Having said that I also love to see a stayer who can open a huge break and pinch a race by such daring tactics.


I have a theory and I guess it could be called a conspiracy theory.
For starters, Sir Isaac Newton was NOT out of control. You could see it wasnt.
So the Mallyon lied.

The instruction was clear.
Burn to the front and go way ahead.

And here is my theory and why.

I believe Lloyd Williams turned the Caulfield Cup into a total brutal gut busting race, that many horses wont recover from properly for the MELBOURNE CUP.
Back to Top
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 20450
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 1:02pm
I think not, I doubt they busted their gut any worse than if the tearaway leader wasn't there.
Back to Top
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 11814
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

Originally posted by Spearmint Spearmint wrote:

This "pacemaker" question is quite interesting.
In Europe pacemakers are allowed and here they are not.

So we go through the charade of yesterday. Williams say the other horse they are running will go to the lead and race unrestrained thus setting the pace, to give it the best chance of winning This is just code for a pacemaker but because the stewards have been informed of this tactic it is ok.
Just let stables here declare a horse is a pacemaker and cut the bulldust

The other thing regarding Sir Isaac Newton was the excuse from Mallyon that she could not hold the horse from charging forward like it did. This may or may not be true.

Anyway the tactic did not really work and JV looked a good thing beaten

Having said that I also love to see a stayer who can open a huge break and pinch a race by such daring tactics.


I have a theory and I guess it could be called a conspiracy theory.
For starters, Sir Isaac Newton was NOT out of control. You could see it wasnt.
So the Mallyon lied.

The instruction was clear.
Burn to the front and go way ahead.

And here is my theory and why.

I believe Lloyd Williams turned the Caulfield Cup into a total brutal gut busting race, that many horses wont recover from properly for the MELBOURNE CUP.


I believe the CIA used their psychotronic mind-control gamma ray weapon on the horse in an attempt to provoke a nuclear war between NK and Australian punters.Shocked
Back to Top
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 20450
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 1:16pm
HAARP. Stands for Horse Auto Adjust Running Position.
Back to Top
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 21974
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 1:58pm
We will sulk for 3 days ..   72 hours is normal kick in time .
Ask the body clock.
Then we get the addiction back , lick any wounds and back into the form guide.        .    The Two Caulfield drawcards of the past 2 weeks will be " but a memory ".
Back to Top
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 10 Aug 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 6528
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

We will sulk for 3 days ..   72 hours is normal kick in time .
Ask the body clock.
Then we get the addiction back , lick any wounds and back into the form guide.        .    The Two Caulfield drawcards of the past 2 weeks will be " but a memory ".

I'm having a crack at Seymour.
"She's going through a growth phase." - GW
Back to Top
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Location: Gold Coast
Status: Offline
Points: 17038
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 3:09pm
Track played disgusting.

Good time to get back into punting... still can't get the track right on the big days.

Any horse sitting 2 deep was a loser all day long and that just isn't right.
Back to Top
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 21974
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Wortel Wortel wrote:

Track played disgusting.

Good time to get back into punting... still can't get the track right on the big days.

Any horse sitting 2 deep was a loser all day long and that just isn't right.


3 meetings in a week ..    Wear and Tear has to appear.

& Hi Wortel ,    Good to see you again.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.063 seconds.