Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.
Punters, click here for everything about betting: Villagebet - Community of punters.

$10 million Magic Millions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $10 million Magic Millions
    Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 1:30pm
Seems stupid to me. A certainty to have the weakest million dollar races in the world, for obvious reasons. What's it in aid of? Can you pack any more people into steaming Gold Coast racecourse? They look jam-packed to me on the tele.
Sponsored Links

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 2:27pm
It's all about advertising, 'Australia's richest day of racing' which is used to encourage people to buy horses from MM...
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 3:36pm
You can be pretty sure they didn't just say "lets throw a bunch more money at the race day for no tangible benefit".

dishyisback View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishyisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Seems stupid to me. A certainty to have the weakest million dollar races in the world, for obvious reasons. What's it in aid of? Can you pack any more people into steaming Gold Coast racecourse? They look jam-packed to me on the tele.

Been once, would never go again unless it was in a box or something 
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 8:36pm
Personally I love Magic Millions (heck, don't we all) but I really think they've missed their chance here. 

I'd like to see eight 1000m races each worth over a million. One for 2yos, one for 3yos, one open, one for mares, one for greys, one for horses with a 'q' in their name, one for horses with at least one but no more than 3 white-stockinged feet and one for horses whose ownership group contains a previous contestant on "Dancing With the Stars".

Roving reporting with Brendan Fevola and Brynne Edelsten to sing the national anthem.

That's what racing's all about.
Air Seattle View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air Seattle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

You can be pretty sure they didn't just say "lets throw a bunch more money at the race day for no tangible benefit".

It's pretty clever. Already has been established the boost to tourism the carnival provides. The problem is the facility (went about 10 yrs ago. By creating an event that it gets to big, the government will have no other option but to contribute to a new racetrack & complex.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Personally I love Magic Millions (heck, don't we all) but I really think they've missed their chance here. 

I'd like to see eight 1000m races each worth over a million. One for 2yos, one for 3yos, one open, one for mares, one for greys, one for horses with a 'q' in their name, one for horses with at least one but no more than 3 white-stockinged feet and one for horses whose ownership group contains a previous contestant on "Dancing With the Stars".

Roving reporting with Brendan Fevola and Brynne Edelsten to sing the national anthem.

That's what racing's all about.

That sounds like the ideal race day to me LOL
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 10:22pm
Every horse will sell for more than what it would have last week. Every owner will target this sale now, knowing the carrot that is on offer. Gai will go nuts. They will almost make their money back on Lot 1 with her famous blow them out of the water tactic. ...
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 10:31pm
Not even a group race...:facepalm:
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 10:38pm
Restricted races aren't allowed to be Group races, just Listed I think.
TBV - where it is the Silly Season all year round.
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 10:40pm
Steel and Iron greys should be banned from all grey races, unless they've got a pretty dappled pattern.
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 12:57am
If only it was going into races people cared about. 
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 7:39am
Spread it around. What about 100 $50K races in the country and provincials with any MM purchase to pick up extra $50K on top. That would get people to the sales. Big smile
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 7:51am
Originally posted by Majestic Majestic wrote:

Spread it around. What about 100 $50K races in the country and provincials with any MM purchase to pick up extra $50K on top. That would get people to the sales. Big smile

....or have a bonus scheme like BOBS, VOBIS etc.
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Geraldo Geraldo wrote:

in England that's true, here there are hundreds of G1's that are restricted...
Mug-Punter View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mug-Punter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

in England that's true, here there are hundreds of G1's that are restricted...

Might be slightly off topic but curious to know why Fillies can race in Derby, but Colts and geldings cannot race in Oaks... Why is that???
The Mugg
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:30am
Think we've had a differing of opinion as to the use of the word restricted.

I mean races that are only open to horses that went via a sale, or are from certain stables (if any of those types exist anywhere), or are just from a certain geographical location.

I don't mean races that are restricted by age or sex.

Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Mug-Punter Mug-Punter wrote:

Might be slightly off topic but curious to know why Fillies can race in Derby, but Colts and geldings cannot race in Oaks... Why is that???

Statistics show that male horse are better than female horses, and even when there is a sex allowance the females are still up against it.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:35am
Wasnt The adelaide excel millions the first of these races ?
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 9:10am

Think we've had a differing of opinion as to the use of the word restricted.

I mean races that are only open to horses that went via a sale, or are from certain stables (if any of those types exist anywhere), or are just from a certain geographical location.

I don't mean races that are restricted by age or sex.

Seems that by restricted I meant indigenous.

The Asian Pattern Committee and the European Pattern Committee both have the same phrase.

APC
Every international Group race in the Asian Pattern must conform to the following rules:
i. It must have no indigenous conditions. 

EPC
Every European Pattern and Listed race must conform to the following rules:
1.1 It must have no indigenous conditions.

So, in Europe Sales Races can't even be Listed, but in Australia they can.

Australia have this rule:-

5.5 Restricted Listed Status
In February 2007, the ARB officially endorsed the AusPC as the appropriate agency for determining the use of
Restricted Listed (RL) categorisation, which is to be strictly limited in its usage.Restricted Listed races are races
restricted solely to horses sold through a specific sale or bred in a particular area, with these restrictive conditions
not providing open entry into these events.

subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 9:24am
I did read somewhere that the club is offering wild cards to certain horses not bought at the sales, so as to create better races. This does help alleviate the limitations of sales races somewhat. I think there are 4 wild cards being offered.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 10:08am
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

I did read somewhere that the club is offering wild cards to certain horses not bought at the sales, so as to create better races. This does help alleviate the limitations of sales races somewhat. I think there are 4 wild cards being offered.

Rather defeats the purpose. I would be mightily pissed if my inflated price MM purchase was beaten by a ring-in.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 10:54am
The wildcard concept does seem a bit odd. Not sure what they are looking to achieve with this.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Mug-Punter Mug-Punter wrote:

Males are generally deemed to be the stronger sex, hence the saying "A good colt will always beat a good filly, all things equal" whether one agrees or not Smile

Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 11:02am
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Slap in the face of those who did buy at MM & a disincentive, to some extent Confused
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 11:10am
if this 'wildcard' thing is true, then what is the point of buying at MM in the first place if you can get wildcard to race there. Seems a stupid idea.
dishyisback View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishyisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 11:50am
Instead of a wildcard they could have a race day 2 weeks before where all winners get automatic entry, maybe just for the 2yo and 3yo races
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 11:56am
There are no wildcards into the 2 and 3 year old races.

This was a partnership between MM and Racing QLD - Racing QLD would of been the one to insist on the wild card concept in order to increase quality.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 12:49pm
They also have the QTIS all aged race on the card. Assume that's open to non MM horses.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic